Information for International Students
- Why train in Australia?
Why train in Australia?
You’ve probably heard about Australia – our beautiful beaches, the vast outback. Our hospitality, the exchange rate, and relatively affordable cost of living are also widely known. We are regarded as a multi-cultural society – very safe and tolerant of different cultures and religions. The additional advantages specific to helicopter training in Australia can be summarized as follows:
- We speak English which is very important in your aviation career, as English is the international aviation standard language. Come and immerse yourself in it.
- Uncluttered airspace, we can fly for hours and not cross the border of another country or enter restricted airspace.
- We also train you in controlled airspace so you get to make all the radio calls and do all the procedures, but there are no delays or restricted airspace issues to worry about.
- We still do all the emergencies such as autorotations all the way to the ground – no simulations. So if you ever are confronted with a real emergency requiring a full autorotation to the ground, you’ll know how to do it.
- In Australia, Commercial Helicopter Pilots are unable to gain an instructors rating until they have a minimum of 450 hours, then we undertake a range of standardisation measures. Our flight instructors have at least 1000 hours of commercial helicopter time which means you get taught by experienced pilots. Generally the quality of training in Australia (and New Zealand) is consistently among the highest and most recognised in the World.
- We have some very good confined areas and mountain training areas which offer some great training experience. We also promote the advanced training such as low level manoeuvring and sling loads within your training package where possible.
- We have lots of open space that there is room for everybody.
- At the end of your training you are issued with an ICAO recognised Commercial Helicopter Pilots Licence and endorsements and/or internationally recognised Certificate/Diploma qualifications.
- Becker Helicopters and Australian aviation in general have excellent flight safety record.
Our Australian Government accreditation as a provider of training services to overseas students permits us to certify a trainee’s enrolment in a specified training course prior to arrival. These courses are currently either our Civil Licence options, a Certificate IV in Aviation of a Diploma in Aviation. Once enrolled we issue a Certificate of Enrolment. This certificate assists you with the qualification process to enter and study in Australia under a student visa. Please check with the relevant Immigration department and/or Embassy for additional visa application requirements specific to your country of origin.
- ESOS Framework
The Australian Government is committed to ensuring you have a great education experience in Australia. The ESOS Act and related laws protect international students through:
- The ESOS legislation and recent reforms
- The National Code
- The Overseas Students Ombudsman
- The Tuition Protection Service
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
Further information about overseas student health cover (OSHC) can be found in the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s OSHC Frequency Asked Questions.
- English Language Training
English Language Training
English language training may be necessary if English is not your first language. We have a full English language program at a dedicated offsite campus that will allow a student to achieve an IELTS 5.5 prior to commencing flight training. On top of this we have also developed a specific Aviation English language program that supplements the basic English learned and assists in the transition to theory and flight operations.